2441 Kenwood Circle, Mansfield, Ohio 44906 • 419-755-4800 • 888-755-4899

Student Success Center FAQs


This page contains some of the most common questions handled by our support staff. Click on any question for the answer along with some tips and tricks that we have found useful in assisting students.

General Information
New Student Placement
Academic Advising
Registering for Classes
Grade-related Information
Family-related Matters
RDG/WRT and FYE classes
CBE, or Credit By Exam
Specialized Supportive Services


General Information

What is a college catalog and where can I get one?

A catalog contains all the following information about the college: programs; course descriptions; offices; services; faculty; costs; financial aid information; and much more. You can get a FREE copy on CD or hard copy (available in limited supply) at the Admissions Office or Student Success Center or access the catalog online here.

When can I get my books?

The college bookstore will usually have books available 2-3 weeks before the semester starts. However, if you wish to charge your books to your financial aid, you need to get your books beginning the Wednesday before the semester begins. Visit the Bookstore's website or check with the bookstore at 419-747-5401 for their hours.

Where is Career Exploration and can they help me select a major?

Career Development is located in the Student Success Center Yes, they can help you select a major or determine your career path. FYE (College Orientation) classes also involve research that will connect you to career resources.

Where can I get job search, resume, or interviewing skills assistance?

The Career Resource Center, located in Kee Hall room 102, provides textbooks and computer software to help you create an impressive resume and cover letter. You can also work with our Job Search Advisor to get tips on interviewing techniques and ways to make a good first impression. Click here for more information.


New Student Placement

How long will the Accuplacer take, how much does it cost, and why do I have to take it?

The Accuplacer test is required for most new students coming into the college. It is free and not timed. You may take as long as you wish. Most students finish in 1 ½ to 3 hours. The test will tell us what level of classes to start you in for english, math and other courses.

If I took the ACT or Compass, do I still have to take the Accuplacer test?

Depending on your ACT or Compass scores, you may not need to take the Accuplacer at all or you may only need to take 1 or 2 sections of it. Based on your ACT or Compass scores, follow these guidelines to help determine if you will be required to take any or all sections of the Accuplacer:

No Accuplacer needed
if ACT score was:

ACT Section

No Accuplacer needed if Compass score was:

Compass Section

21 or higher on


80 or higher on


18 or higher on


8 or higher on


21 or higher on


52 or higher on



Academic Advising

What does an advisor do?

A Student Success Center advisor can help students learn how to navigate the college system, plan your academic path, and assist with any academic planning needs. Also, an advisor helps you plan your courses each quarter, resolve class problems, help you with career goals, and is just there whenever you need a friendly ear.

When should I see an advisor?

You need to see an advisor whenever you are planning your courses for the next quarter, when you have questions, and any time you have a problem. All new or returning students must meet with an advisor before registering for classes. Directions students (those required to take a Reading or Writing class) and Probationary students must meet quarterly with an advisor prior to registration.

I got a notice in the mail telling me of my faculty advisor. What is this for?

Your faculty advisor is your “long-term” advisor or expert in your chosen field. All students are encouraged to meet regularly with their assigned faculty advisor to plan appropriate classes. Faculty advisors are an excellent resource for questions or information about their program or the job market.

How do I know what classes I’m supposed to take?

Refer to the curriculum worksheet for your major. You can get one in the Admissions Office or the Student Success Center. You can also access a copy online by choosing the appropriate major from the Academics page.

What is a curriculum worksheet?

A curriculum worksheet is a list of all the courses you will take in order to get an associate degree in a particular major.

How do I change my major?

Simply fill out a “Change of Major” form in the Student Success Center, the Welcome desk in Kee Hall, or Student Records Office.


Registering for Classes

When do I register for classes?

If you are a new student, check with the Welcome Desk in Kee Hall or check the online calendar for dates. If you are already attending, you will register mid quarter during special days called “Priority Registration or after.”

Why can’t I register for my classes for the entire year at one time?

The college registers for certain quarters at certain times of the year. You usually can only register for the upcoming quarter, however, in the spring you can usually register for both summer and fall quarters at the same time. Check the online calendar for registration dates.

How many classes do I have to take to be considered full time?

A Full time means you attend classes at least 12 hours per week. Your schedule will show 12 “credits”.

Will I graduate with an associate degree in two years?

It depends. If you take 12 hours a quarter, you will probably need to go more than 6 quarters or 2 years. You may have to attend longer or take 17-18 credit hours a quarter.

How many classes should I take if I work 40 hours per week?

Since the majority of college work is done outside of class, you need to plan 2 hours of study for each hour you’re in class. That means if you take 12 hours, which is full time, and plan for 24 hours of study/homework, (2 X 12 = 24) you will be devoting 36 hrs to college. That’s the equivalent of a full-time job. So if you’re already working 40 hours, we recommend you take only 1 or 2 classes in order to be successful.

What is a flex class?

A flex class is a class that does not follow the traditional academic calendar. Students will still cover the same amount of material as a class that runs the entire quarter, but usually in a fewer number of weeks. Dates for adding, dropping, and receiving refunds from these classes may be different from dates established for traditional classes.

Can I take classes with my friend?

Maybe. It depends on what courses you and your friend are required to take and your outside commitments.

What is an elective?

If you are pursuing an associate degree, you will probably be required to choose 2 or 3 electives from a list of courses. These are usually courses in the social sciences or humanities and required by the Ohio Board of Regents (our governing board) for anyone in our college who is pursuing a degree. Some programs also offer a choice of technical electives geared toward that major. Since they are elective, you can choose the ones that interest you from the list.

What is a GAP plan? When I try to register online, it says I have a GAP plan and must see an SSC Advisor. What does this mean?

GAP stands for Goal Attainment Plan. This plan lists the classes that you are required to take such as RDG or WRT classes which are determined from your placement test scores (or possibly lack of placement test scores). This probably means you are part of the Directions Advising program meaning you are being required to take a RDG or WRT class. You must have your GAP plan updated each quarter; therefore, you must meet with an advisor each quarter to approve your class schedule before you can register online. You will do this quarterly until you pass ENG101 and have a GPA of 2.0 or more.


General Course and Grade-related Information

How will I know if I’m doing well or not in class?

Your homework and test grades are a good indicator. If you’ve not yet received any grades, another good indicator is if you understand the class content, the text lectures, and are studying every week; you are probably doing O.K. If all else fails, ask the instructor. Also, on the fifth week the college will send a Midterm Deficiency out to each student who is currently doing D or F work or on the C/D borderline in a class. If you receive one, you need to talk to your instructor immediately to see what you need to do to pass the class.

What do I do when I get a Midterm Deficiency?

First, talk to your instructor to see what your grade is and to discuss possible ways to improve your grades. Then go to the SSC to get free help with the class work from a tutor.

How do I get in touch with my instructor?

Browse the Faculty Directory of the website to find the contact information for your instructor. Alternately, you may ask the Welcome Desk in Kee Hall for the office number and office hours of your instructor. You might also find this information in your class syllabus.


Family-related Matters

Can I bring my kids with me to class?

Generally, the answer is “no”, although it depends on your instructor. Classrooms are designed for adults, and children can be very disruptive to the other students.

Then what do I do if my children are sick?

Plan ahead! Part of being a successful college student is planning for emergencies because they will happen, Children will get sick, no doubt about it. So instead of just staying home and missing your classes, at the beginning of the quarter, arrange for 1 or 2 backup babysitters who might sit with your children so you can go to class. If you absolutely have to miss, see your instructor as soon as possible to get class notes and assignments. YOU’RE STILL RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSIGNMENTS IF YOU MISS THE CLASS. If you have an extended absence, call your instructor or at least the assistant in the appropriate academic office, and leave a message and your phone number for the instructor to call you.

How can I be reached in case of an emergency?

The Student Records Office can deliver a message to you in your classroom in the case of an emergency.


RDG/WRT and FYE classes

What is Directions?

This is an advising program for anyone required to take WRT115, 116, or RDG 115,116. Directions advisors will help you register for classes, answer questions, and direct you to campus resources. Your Directions advisor, located in the Student Success Center, works with you and your faculty advisor.

How long am I in the Directions advising program?

Students are part of the Directions advising program for 2-3 quarters until they successfully pass their required pre-college level classes and English 101 and have a GPA of 2.0 or more.

What is an FYE 161 / 101 Class & why should I take it?

FYE (First Year Experience) classes deal with a variety of topics that familiarize you with college, its workings, and its expectations. You will also tour the campus and learn how to take better notes and tests.

Why do I have to take FYE 161 or a RDG/WRT class?

Students will be required to take these classes based on their performance on the Accuplacer test. The classes are designed to help students succeed in their other college classes.

What will the FYE 161 class do for me?

The FYE 161, College Survival Skills class will help you in many areas. It will teach you the academic skills you need to be successful in college such as note-taking, test-taking and time management. It will also orient you to the college terminology, do’s and don’ts of classroom etiquette, college expectations, and college requirements. You will explore your career choice and the buildings and services offered on campus. Overall, it will provide you with the opportunity to learn how to “survive” in college.


CBE, or Credit By Exam

What is a CBE?

This means Credit-by-Exam. It is a $20-$50 exam that you can take to test out of a class. When you do so successfully, you receive college credit for the class without having to actually take the class. For more information, contact the appropriate academic division office or check the website for the application form. The Business Division Credit by Exam list is available online; however, you will need to contact the other divisions directly for a list of their credit by exam courses.


Specialized Supportive Services

What is the Office of Specialized Supportive Services?

The Office of Specialized Supportive Services encompasses Disability Services, Peer Tutoring and Mentoring, and Personal Counseling.

What is the purpose of the Office of Disability Services?

By law, students who have a documented disability(s) are entitled to accommodations such as a scribe, quiet room for testing, or extended testing time as prescribed in their documentation, that would allow them an equal chance to succeed in their college coursework. The Office of Disability Services is the Office where those students who wish to receive these accommodations, should be registered.

Are all students with a disability registered with the Office of Disability Services?

No. Only those who choose to.

Does a student with a disability who wants to receive accommodations have to be registered with the Office of Disability Services in order to be accommodated?

Legally, yes. Technically, no. Some students are excellent self-advocates and will take the initiative to speak with instructors about their disability(s) and their needs and the instructor may try to accommodate them. However, without registering with the Office of Disability Services, instructors have no proof that the student actually does have a disability and therefore does not have to make the requested accommodation(s). Therefore the student may have some instructors who accommodate and some who do not. Or they may have none that will. Also, if a grievance with the college should occur that involves the student’s disability and the student has not registered with the Office of Disability Services the college has no recorded proof that the disability exists and may not be held accountable for taking it into consideration in regards to the grievance.

Do students have to pay for the personal counseling services they receive through the college?

Short-term personal counseling is free to all currently enrolled students. If long-term counseling is required the student will be referred to an appropriate agency and would have to assume the responsibility of payment for those services.

Who does the personal counseling?

Currently, students may be referred to receive personal counseling from an off-campus agency.

Are tutoring services free to students?

Yes. Tutoring services are free to currently enrolled students.

Can students receive as many hours of tutoring they want?

Through the peer-tutoring program, students are limited to 12 hours of tutoring for the quarter. Therefore they generally meet with their tutor about an hour a week.

What is peer tutoring?

It is tutoring provided by a student who has successfully completed a particular class and can now tutor other students in its content.

Do I have to have an appointment to be tutored?

Not always, free faculty tutoring (provided by instructors of the college) is available on a walk-in basis in the Student Success Center for math, reading, writing, FYE, and English courses.



North Central State College Seal

©2016 North Central State College
2441 Kenwood Circle
Mansfield, OH 44906

Phone Icon419-755-4800
Phone Icon888-755-4899

Pagemasters Login