The Student Success Center administers several tests to new students for course placement purposes. Some assessments may be waived with equivalent ACT scores or transfer credit. If you are unsure if you need testing, contact the Student Success Center to determine if you need an assessment 419-755-4536.
- Accuplacer Assessment
- Accuplacer Preparation
- Computer Literacy (CIS) Assessment
- ATI TEAS Entrance Test
- NC State Make-Up Exam Proctoring Services
- Non-NC State Proctoring Services
- Learning Disabilities Assessment
All new students are evaluated in three areas:
May be waived with an ACT Reading score of 21 and above or transfer credit for ENGL1010 (ENG101)
May be waived with an ACT English score of 18 and above or transfer credit for ENGL1010 (ENG101)
May be waived with an ACT Math score of 21 and above or transfer credit for any of the following: MATH1010, MATH1030, MATH1050, or MATH1110 (MTH121, MTH122, MTH130, MTH130)
This assessment is best completed before the student enrolls in any classes, but must be taken before completing 13 credit hours of classes. The ACCUPLACER assessment must be completed before any of the following courses can be taken: READ0080, WRIT0090, MATH0070, MATH0072, MATH0074, MATH0086, MATH1010, MATH1030, MATH1050, and MATH1110, STAT1000, STAT1010, or STAT1030. Other courses may also have math or English pre-requisite requirements.
Students who have already completed an associates's degree or bachelor's degree may not be required to take the ACCUPLACER. Contact the Admissions Office to see if previous credit can be applied towards this assessment.
Note: The first ACCUPLACER test for each student is FREE, however, effective May 1, 2012, a Non-Refundable fee of $25 applies to any Accuplacer retest (not taken in conjunction the Solutions Program).
To register for ACCUPLACER Retest:
- Schedule a ACCUPLACER retest appointment by calling 419-755-4536.
- Take the completed ACCUPLACER Retest Payment Form and $25 payment to Cashier's Office .
- Present the "paid" ACCUPLACER Retest Payment Form to the Student Success Center when you arrive for your retest appointment.
Questions? Contact the Student Success Center 419-755-4536.
When should you prepare?
- Before taking the ACCUPLACER
- Save time and money by preparing for the ACCUPLACER before testing. This can help avoid taking unnecessary classes as well as save on the need to retest.
Ways to Prepare for the Accuplacer
Use any of the following sites for practice and review of Reading, Writing, or Math
- Accuplacer Sample Questions by CollegeBoard (pdf)
Accuplacer Web-Based Study App (Features live tests)
Create a free account
Choose the "Classic Test" version
- Mometrix Accuplacer Study Guide Videos (YouTube)
- Accuplacer Test Prep through TestPrepReview (Features live tests)
OhioMeansJobs Accuplacer Review (Features live tests)
- Hover over "Plan It" and click "Assessments and Training"
- Click "Get Started" next to "ACT" and then click continue
- On the left hand side of the new screen, click "College Placement Preparation"
- In the top, middle of the screen click "ACCUPLACER" to see a list of ACCUPLACER practice exams
Computer Literacy (CIS) Assessment
By Appointment Only!
This assessment will take about 45 - 60 minutes to complete. To make an appointment, contact the Student Success Center in Kee Hall, room 138 or call 419-755-4536.
Your skills will be tested in two separate areas - keyboarding and four computer skills areas - Internet, Outlook, Windows 7, and Word 2013 (See below for a detailed list of the tasks that students need to carry out in the assessment).
Successful completion of the Computer Literacy Assessment satisfies two requirements:
A Keyboarding score of at least 24 net words per minute satisfies this requirement
CISS1020 – Introduction to Computers
A Computer Skills score of at least 34/40 or 85% satisfies this requirement
The Computer Literacy Assessment requires you to understand and be able to perform tasks on the computer in four skills areas as follows:
Want to practice your computer skills before taking the assessment or before retesting? The Learning Express Library has free online tutorials to improve your computer skills:
Students will have one (1) opportunity to take the Computer Literacy Computer Skills portion of the assessment, free of charge. Any student wishing to retest on the 4 core competencies - Internet, Email, Windows, and Word processing - must get approval from the Student Success Center, make an appointment, and pay a retest fee of $15.00 to the cashier prior to retesting.
ATI TEAS Entrance Test
The ATI TEAS is required for admission to:
- Associate Degree Nursing
- Practical Nursing Certificate
The test is a 4-hour assessment that requires prior registration and fee payment at the Cashier's Office, room 140 Kee Hall.
NC State Make-Up Exam Proctoring Services
As a service to North Central State students, the college provides proctoring services for making up NC State Exams, free of charge.
Make-up Exam Proctoring Services are offered:
By Appointment Only
Please call the Student Success Center at 419-755-4536
to schedule your Make-Up Exam
Please submit your exam request (link below) at least 48 hours in advance and allow multiple dates that the student can take the test to ensure space availability in the testing center. We will do our best to fulfill the requested timeframe. If we are unable to fulfill the timeframe you have provided, a testing center staff member will reach out to you directly.
You can view NC State Makeup Exam availability by logging into your AdvisorTrac by following the steps below:
- When logged into AdvisorTrac, switch to Consultant View.
- Once the page has loaded, under "Appointments" click on the link that states "Search for Availabilities"
- From here, you can enter in the student's ID number or name and select the reason as "NC State Makeup Exams."
- Once you hit search, a list of available openings will appear to the right. These indicate the dates in which makeup exams are being offered.
Below is the link to the electronic form which can be used
to request NC State Make-Up Exam Services:
Non-NC State Proctoring Services
As a service to the students of other educational institutions, North Central State College can be utilized as a proctoring site for non-NC State exams or Accuplacer placement assessment for admission to another college. A $25 fee applies to each exam or Accuplacer assessment appointment.* Please contact the Proctoring Department to schedule your appointment at least five (5) business days prior to your exam due date to ensure sufficient time for all examination materials to be delivered, as well as individual proctor availibility.
* Franklin University students are not required to pay for Proctoring Services up front, as their institution is billed for this service at the end of each semester.
Learning Disability Assessment
If you have a student who is currently registered with the Office of Disability Services and need to request exam proctoring services, please use the link below. You may also contact Doug Heestand directly at 419-755-4727, or send exams via interoffice mail to KH-6.
If you know or feel you have a learning disability and you would like to receive assistance through the Office of Disability Services, but you do not have recent (within 3yrs) documentation that shows that you have a learning disability, you will need to complete a Learning Disability Assessment.
This assessment requires fee payment and a scheduled appointment. Please contact the Coordinator of Disability Services for more information.