North Central State College Logo
Contact Us | A-Z Site Index
NC State Button Bar
register for classes, change personal info, pay bill ...
Course Search
by course number, by subject, by faculty ...
Student Email
check email online
online classes portal
My Password Services
change or retrieve your password
online classes portal
A-Z Site Index
find links alphabetically
faculty, staff, offices
help documents and tutorials
MyNC Class Search Student Email My Password Services Canvas Directory Help Documents and Tutorials
Hands pouring coins out of jar

You may contact the International Coordinator with any questions you have about attending classes at North Central State College.

International Coordinator
phone: 001-419-755-4824

Financial Aid View of the Kehoe Center from outside
Four step timeline to become enrolled at North Central State College


Applying for a Student Visa

It is recommended that you complete the application for your student visa 60 days before the start of a term.

You must apply to the college and receive an I-20 document before applying for a student visa. The I-20 document details your plan of study and the time period you intend to complete your degree. An U.S. embassy or consulate will use the I-20 and your SEVIS registration to confirm your status as a student.

What is SEVIS?

Before you can apply for a student visa you must register with the SEVIS system.The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is a database that includes potential and active international students. During the student visa application process, your local United States embassy will use this database to confirm you have been accepted by the college. The SEVIS form and fee are both handled by the Department of Homeland Security. Please see the SEVIS website to complete the form and pay the registration fee.

Start the Application

After you receive your I-20 document and after you have paid the SEVIS fee, contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to begin the student visa application. You can apply to any international U.S. embassy, but you may find it more difficult to complete the application process if the embassy is not in your home county.

You will be applying for a class F1 student visa using Form DS-160. This form is also used for other classes of nonimmigrant visas, so be sure to specify F1. The online form should be completed before scheduling an interview with the embassy.

Required Documents
  • SEVIS payment receipt (paper)
  • Form DS-160 (online)
  • Form DS-160 fee payment receipt (paper)
  • I-20 Document (paper)
  • Passport (paper)
  • 2x2 Photograph (paper)
Student Visa Interview

You should schedule an interview with your local U.S. embassy after you have collected the required documents.

The interviewer at the embassy will ask you some questions to verify your status as a student. Be prepared to answer questions regarding ties to your country, your English language skills, your academic background, proof of your financial ability, and the program of study you have been accepted.

Be prepared to show:

  • Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions
  • Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution
  • Financial evidence of ability to pay
Entry into the U.S.

A student visa does not guarantee entry into the U.S., but it does make the entry process easier. The United States port of entry makes the final decision to grant you entry.

First-time international students may enter the U.S. 30 days before classes begin. If you need to enter earlier, you will have to apply for special permission at your local U.S. embassy.

Continuing second year students may enter the U.S. at any time before classes start. However, if you are outside the U.S. for more than 5 months you will be required to apply for a new student visa. The North Central State summer break is only a few months long so you can continue classes from year to year using one student visa as long as you don't skip a term.


Step 3: Prepare for Travel



NC State Button Bar
enable editing

content disclaimer | computer and network use policy


About NC State
Maps & Directions


Apply Online
Enrollment Steps
International Students
Options for High School Students
Transfer Options


Associate Degrees
Bachelor's Degree Options
College Catalog
Course Search
Online Classes
Transcripts & Records
Transfer Options


Apply for Aid
Cost of College
Grants & Scholarships
Veteran's Benefits


Academic Advising
Bill Payment
Career Development
Changing Majors
Child Care
Computer Labs
Disability Services
Health Insurance

ID Cards
IT System Support
Personal Counseling
Safety & Security
Student Success Center
Transcripts & Records
TRIO Support Services

© North Central State College
2441 Kenwood Circle
Mansfield, Ohio 44906


Find Us on FacebookFind us on Facebook

Find Us on FacebookFollow us on Twitter


Main Campus
Kehoe Center
Ashland Outreach Center
Crawford Success Center
Mansfield Urban Center

North Central State College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission • 230 S. LaSalle St., Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604 • 1-800-621-7440